Re: Hot Alternator Output Wire Problem Solved

To: theo.smit@dynastream.com
Subject: Re: Hot Alternator Output Wire Problem Solved
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:44:50 -0700
Theo Smit wrote:

> ................Electrical problems never just "go away", and the cure
>you've described is analogous to swapping out a taillight bulb and having
>your headlights become functional as a result.
>
>Best regards,
>Theo

Theo:
I appreciate your comments, but the ammeter's inability to carry high
voltage is verified by the fact that, with it gone, the wire overheating
problem is also gone. All of the other wiring on my car remains exactly
the same. I checked the connections to the ammeter before I disconnected
it, and all of them were in excellent shape. The ammeter can apparently
handle just so much current, and then it offers resistance to the
current, equalling unwanted heat.

I spoke to Margaret at Mo-Ma this morning about the problem and she is
aware of it, although not specifically with Tigers. Then again, there
aren't too many Tigers with air conditioning and the extra load that
takes. She said that she has been making 100 amp ammeters for a good
number of Ferrari owners who have added modern accessories, and high
output alternators, to their cars and have had exactly the same problem
I have. Their standard factory wiring and ammeters were getting very
hot, and some of them had melted, as the face of mine had started to do.

I also wonder if this had contributed to the Tiger "shutting down" on me
a few times in hot weather with the AC on in the past. I was never able
to track down a specific cause for that and neither could a couple of
shops I took the car to.

Again, check out the article on Dodge ammeters at:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Those 60's and 70's Dodges had their ammeters wired the same way as the
Tiger does. That's an aweful lot of voltage running through a little
wire inside the ammeter.

Again, I really do appreciate the comments but, for now, I respectfully
have to differ with you on this.

Steve