RE: Hot Alternator Output Wire Problem Solved

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hot Alternator Output Wire Problem Solved
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:46:33 -0700
Stu,

Thanks to you and Theo and a quick look at the wiring diagram, I've learned
a lot about how to correctly wire the ammeter. However, Steve's symptoms
still remain a mystery - namely, why should the temperature at the
alternator increase when the ammeter is in the circuit. I agree that it's
unlikely - if not impossible - that there's a short to ground at the ammeter
that would be just sufficient to pull say 20A or so, but not burn the wiring
up completely. That brings us back to the other possibility that the heat
generated at the ammeter is thermally conducted sufficiently through the 10
gauge wire to cause the observed temperature rise at the alternator. That
seems a little far fetched to me, but I can't think of another explanation.
It might be possible if the insulation on the wire was very good. We need
Steve to check for us and see if the wire gets hotter along its length as
you go from the alternator to the ammeter.

Bob