Re: pcv connection

To: "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>, "Tom Witt"
Subject: Re: pcv connection
From: "bob josten" <bobjosten@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:10:30 -0700
Hi Steve,
I'm sorry to jump in here but I stand to benefit the most from determining
the best way to make the PCV attachment work with an F4B. I don't have the
experience or knowledge necessary to design an alternative and I'm trying to
stay as faithful to the original as possible.
Is there an image available that shows a Mk2 289 (in my case) with an F4B
(the second generation I believe, with two oval openings at the top instead
of 4 round openings on the earlier version) and a Holley 1848 carb that was
purchased about a year ago from Sunbeam Specialties?
I am curious about what the process was in upgrading to a 4 barrel motor.
If someone bought a Tiger from a dealer and selected the 4 barrel option did
the dealer pull off a factory 2 barrel manifold and carb and swap in the F4B
and Holley or did some cars come from the factory that way? What about the
later Mk2 cars- was the process the same as the earlier cars?
If the dealer did the swap then did they drill and tap the hole? I'm not an
expert but to do it properly someone would need a Bridgeport mill and a
tapered pipe tap along with a jig to hold the intake down and horizontal
during the machining.
It seems like a lot to expect from a dealer that probably sold Tigers as a
curiosity and not as their big money maker.
I bought the F4B on ebay last year and it does not have the tapped hole in
the forward boss. I always assumed that every other car the F4B was used in
had the necessary clearance to just pop a spacer plate under the carb and
call it good.
Steve, thanks for all of the good advice contained in these postings and the
website.
Bob