Mystery engine noise

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Mystery engine noise
From: Kevin Meek <kevin_meek@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:39:46 -0700 (PDT)
All-

My '66 Mk1A suddenly developed an engine miss and mechanical
noise.  The engine is a stock 260, which I rebuilt in '95 and
has been driven approx. 10K miles since then.  I drove my son
to school, and upon returning (speed less than 35 mph) it seemed
to be stumbling/missing in the middle of the power band.  I
checked the plug wires with a timing light, but each plug was
firing evenly.  I thought it might have some bad gas or something,
so I took it out on the freeway to blow it out.  After going about
15 miles, I could hear what seemed to be a rattle/tapping noise
while going uphill.  I turned around and headed for home, and by
the time I got there I could hear the tapping at idle.  I used a
hose to listen for the noise, and it seemed to be coming from the
front of the passenger side cylinder head.  I removed the valve
cover, but didn't find anything thing obviously wrong.  I'm
thinking it might be a collapsed lifter, but I'm not sure how to
diagnose that short of just installing a complete new set.

Here's a link to a video/audio of the engine noise (the noise
sort of sounds like an exhaust leak on this video).  Any ideas
on what to do next would be appreciated - thanks!

http://themeek.net/tiger/badcat.mpg

-Kevin Meek, Santa Cruz, CA