Hydraulic throwout bearing recommendations sought.

To: TIGER LIST <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hydraulic throwout bearing recommendations sought.
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:43:06 -0600
Hi all,

Due to some unanticipated hassles with my brand X bellhousing (specifically,
the clutch release lever fulcrum is located higher up on the left side of
the bellhousing than it is on the 5-bolt bellhousing, which would put the
release lever and slave cylinder where I want my right heel to be), I'm
looking at going with a hydraulic throwout bearing (and I'll be Tigerless at
SUNI... Sigh).

My current (anticipated) setup is: Ram aluminum flywheel, Ford Motorsports
diaphragm pressure plate, and the toploader. The bellhousing is an aluminum
six-bolt to narrow-pattern (only) toploader piece, with the small (4.65")
input shaft bearing retainer hole. It's not made by Ford. Since all the
hydraulic release bearings that are commercially available are made to fit
the larger input shaft bearing retainer, I'm looking at doing machine work
on either the release bearing flange or on the bellhousing. The other option
is to dig around and see if I can find a six-bolt Ford bellhousing and then
redrill it to fit the narrow-pattern toploader. I'm not interested in
changing the toploader to a wide-pattern case, or, for that matter, to put
in a wide ratio box. I have a T5 waiting for whne I want to "improve" the
street drivability of my setup, and in the meantime the close ratio box and
3.31 gears suit just fine.

I found a place that is clearing out McLeod hydraulic throwout bearings.
Does anyone have experience with these particular bearing assemblies? Any
other comments or suggestions are also appreciated.

Best regards,
Theo