RE: 260 vs 289 in the LeMans cars

To: <gharlowe@comcast.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 260 vs 289 in the LeMans cars
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:43:35 -0400
        Actually Shelby started with the 221 cu in engine that was sent to
England to get the Cobra rolling.   Shelby the snake charmer that he is,
needed to show a product.   The 221 was quickly change to a 260.   In fact
most of the 260 Cobras came back to have 289's installed.   Its very
possible one of those returned 260 Cobra engines went into the Shelby Alpine
260.

        One book I have lists 2, 260 engines;
62, 63, 64       260/ 164 hp    These are listed with a 2bbl carb.
63      260/ 260 hp             This one looks like a race version with
Webers and Y pipe exhaust manifolds, very little other info.

        I'm would think that Shelby American took the 260's changed them to
4bbl, put in a different cam and the 260's would easily have 200+ hp.

Ron Fraser