Re: Ford electronic distributors

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Ford electronic distributors
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:21:57 -0700
Hi all,
To expand on Steve's comments related to the tach:

I've seen stock tachs work with the Ford Duraspark module and
distributor, with the stock wiring (Thanks again for the test drive,
John). Just make sure that the 12V ignition wire that leads to the
Duraspark  module is wound through the distributor transformer loop, and
that nothing else connects on the 'other' side of the tach. Tachs with
the replacement module should work fine if they're connected the same
way, and the module will also work with the voltage-triggered connection
to the coil (-) - if you do this and you have any problems with it let
me know.

The Pertronix module works with the tach module as well, a number of
people have done this and I've tested the Pertronix II / Flamethrower II
combination myself, in both current and voltage triggered operation,
with good results. Some other amplifier/coil combinations may give tach
issues if you connect them in voltage triggered mode, but if you must
have it this way (with, for example, the Mallory Unilite distributor)
then I can build a special module for you.

I don't know how exactly you'd use the Duraspark distributor with the
Pertronix module - that's kind of redundant, since they both will
eliminate the points that are the main reason for (maintenance-related)
ignition system problems.

I used a Duraspark distributor and wired the sensor outputs directly to
the MSD 6-AL. In my opinion, if you want a rock-solid ignition system
and don't mind using the larger distributor cap and wires then this is
the way to go. You get the improvment in driveability that the MSD gives
you, you get rev limiting for when things get busy, and they're easy to
get (or replace) on the off chance that it somehow craters on you. I
stuck mine on the driver's kickpanel so it's not in the engine
compartment, but I haven't heard of any dying due to the heat in the
engine compartment either.

Best regards,
Theo