Re: Ford electronic distributors

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Ford electronic distributors
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:59:30 -0800
Theo Smit wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I don't know how exactly you'd use the Duraspark distributor with the
> Pertronix module - that's kind of redundant, since they both will
> eliminate the points that are the main reason for
> (maintenance-related) ignition system problems.
>
> <snip>
>
> Best regards,
> Theo

Theo is correct, assuming that BOTH tasks are considered to be done.  In
fact, you have to REMOVE the Ford magnetic rotor replacement to install
the Pertronix, since only one "switching device" can operate the
ignition system.

I do not know if the Pertronix output will properly drive the
Duraspark.   Seems to me to be a good idea to stay within a
manufacturer's system design.

The Pertronix, of either I or II issue are meant to replace flaky
mechanical point connections to switch whatever coil you use that
generates the spark energy the distributor sends along.  The MAIN issue
concerns the ability of the distributor cap to handle the high voltage
it is asked to switch from plug to plug.

The Pertronix I, using the maximum specified "hot coil" as one ONLY of
the "points type" limits the voltage in the 15,000 volt range, rather
than the stock 10,000 volt range  (example numbers).  The main benefit
is the elimination of point wear, chatter, arcing, etc. by using an
electronic switcher.

The Pertronix II is a much sturdier switcher, electronically, although
both work the same mechanically.  There is an additional variable dwell
time built into the Pertronix 2, as well as the current carrying
capacity to handle the very hot 50,000 volt FlameThrower II coil (NOT a
"points type")

The square box (Duraspark in Ford lingo) is much like other external
ignition systems, like the Mallory MSD 6 style capacitive discharge
system.  These add energy to a large capacitor, which stores it, and
release it in a very large surge through external, or internal voltage
transformers (coils), creating a huge spark.  It has issues with tachs
of an older vintage, as Theo points out, and has the cure for.

You do not use both the Pertronix and the Duraspark.  In the Pertronix
case, it is simply a matter of assuring no arcing between plugs inside
the distributor cap.

Steve

--
-----