Fw: Ackerman Angle

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: Ackerman Angle
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:47:07 -0800
Drat, forgot to delete the trailer...

mayf
----- Original Message -----
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: Ackerman Angle

Interesting about ackerman and steering ...seems to pop up at least once a
 year. Have any of you looked at my web site under the f=ma icon? There is
an
 analysis of the steering the tiger has and how much effect the mg arms have
 and then what it would take to make the steering perfect. As has been
 alluded to, the problem is a compound one: the rack is too far forward and
 the steering arms are not correct for optimum ackerman. Steering arm tie
rod
 location can be simply found by making a sketch of the front and rear axle
 location, finding the center of the rear axle, locating the bottom ball
 joints on the front axle center line. Then you draw a line from the center
 of the rear axle through the ball joint up front. The tie rod location can
 be at any point along the line. If it goes in front of the ball joint it
has
 to move outboard by quite a bit, as Duane did. If it can be put behind the
 ball joint then things are better by a long shot...except as noteed, the
oil
 pan and it innards get in the way. I am looking at a front cross member,
 with the help from another list member of a possible syetem, that with a
pan
 change to late model, would allow the rack to be in the area between the
 humps on the oil pan. May not be doable, but loooking at any way. I have a
 set of mg arms somewhere and after my analysis I decided that the work
 involved did not yeild many benefits. The holes on the mg arms have to be
 elongated to make them fit, as I remember.  I have not seen the kit that
 Dale sells, nor how it is installed. If anyone has information that can be
 emailed to me, I would appreciate it.

 mayf, out in Pahrump, below are sites where analysis is located...

 http://www.teknett.com/pwp/drmayf

 http://www.mayfco.com