Brakes update

To: "Tiger" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brakes update
From: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:40:20 -0500
Thanks for the info so far on my locked up brakes. Here is the current
status.
The front wheels turn free and stop when you step on the brakes. No problem.
Rears are locked up tight. So..
I released all the fluid pressure by opening up all the brake lines in the
rear and drained out a bunch of fluid. Nothing changed
I beat the crap out of the drum with a bug rubber mallet- nothing
I removed the nuts on the adjuster and tried to lightly pound the adjuster in
enough so that maybe something would break free- nothing
I started up the engine and released the clutch in reverse (note the car is up
on blocks)
The drum moved and then we were able to beat the drum off both sides finally.
I then fully adjusted the adjuster in as much as possible. The drums slide on
and off easily. But when I step on the brake again they lock right back up and
stay that way even if I bleed out fluid. With the adjusters all the way in
though I was able to get the drums off relatively easily.
Even with the air in the system in the back I get a hard pedal up front.
i think there is something to the input that the master may not be retracting
enough and it was coupled perhaps with the second problem that maybe the
adjusters were too far out.
It did take a full bottle of wine to get through this process for the two of
us.

After I took the drums off the second time we were trying to see if the brake
cylinder was actually retracting. Couldn't see any movement either way when
the brake was just pushed on by hand. So my buddy went in and stepped on the
brake pedal. That promptly pushed out the left cylinder enough that fluid
sprayed out. I assume the piston came out enough to get the seal past the end
of the cylinder. Can't tell with the boot on.

anyway- a little more wine and we called it a night. Looks like I may have to
pull the master again to check out the retraction and now pull this rear
cylinder to see what happened to it. God I love these Tigers.

Any other thoughts.

I'll get to the problem of shifting I guess once I know I can stop ; )

Curt Hoffman

RV-9A Wings done, QB fuselage, tail about done
Cherokee N5320W
Harley Road King Classic
Sunbeam Tiger
Maybe I need a sailboat - I've been looking : )