Brake Mystery solved

To: "Tiger" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake Mystery solved
From: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:21:33 -0500
Well, like all good mysteries, this one has a simple answer once you get all
the pieces.

The PO had said the hydraulics were all gone through and I apparently added to
that with a false memory that the rear cylinders were new.Turns out that was a
memory from my TR6.

Anyway, once I got the drums off- no small feat when the brakes are fully
locked up, it became apparent there was nothing new in there. No rust to speak
of and the flex hoses did look new so some of the ideas offered up didn't look
like good endpoints.

So, I removed the cylinders and voila. Both were bound up like only 10 years
of sitting still can do for you. Both had apparently only moved enough in
their recent life to jam the brakes but were not about to agree to go the
other way. I broke one free and could clean it out and I briefly toyed with
the idea of just honing it out and replacing. The other one I couldn't move
the piston with a hammer and couldn't get it out at all. So, out comes the
catalog and I will order new cylinders. Already have a new master on it which
started this mess. The old one wasn't working so never had a chance to lock up
the brakes. Will inspect the front now too since there must be corrosion there
too. Still don't know how the guy drove the car to my house. He's still
shaking.

Thanks for all your tips. Once I get the brakes working I'll come back with
the clutch / transmission problem : )

Curt Hoffman