RE: Brake Mystery solved

To: "'Curt'" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>, "'Tiger'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Brake Mystery solved
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:13:40 -0500
Curt
        I don't know how much experience you have with aluminum cylinders
but honing is not exactly the right word for fixing them.   Aluminum
cylinders need to be polished to a mirror finish to work correctly and there
can be no pit in the surface.   If there are pits then they need to be
sleeved with brass or stainless steel.

        IMO you should try to save the old parts if at all possible.   Put
the cylinder in a can of motor oil and let it set for a couple of weeks then
see if it will come apart, if not put it back in the oil, repeat until it
comes apart.   You have nothing to loose here since you have new cylinders
on order.

Good luck with your project.

Happy Holidays

Ron Fraser