Re: offset vs. backspace

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Sharon Mountjoy" <mtjoy@telis.org>
Subject: Re: offset vs. backspace
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:33:05 -0800
Darrell,
   Excellently stated. Simple for those who need to get the measurement done
and detailed enough for those that what to know why. I used to frequent
Caldwell up there on Colorado Blvd. In my case it wasn't Ansens, but rather
their somewhat infamous recaps or used tires. I used to enjoy watching them
true tires with their tire lathe. At the time ( I was 18-21) I always
wondered whether you got more tread life because the tire was round in
relation to the wheel, or it was a gimick that pre-wore the tire for you!
  As a side note I had a friend who had put Caldwell recaps (C - 50 - 13")
on his Datsun 510 about 1980. The car sat on those recaps (mostly flat) for
about 21 years. Who knew how much older the casings were! In 2003 when I had
to take the car to the DMV to get VIN verification I put air in those recaps
and all be it slowly and bumpy, drove it there.
  This whole discussing about what means what reminds me of the time I went
into Alhambra Wheel & Hobby and told the owner Bill Mason (who had a voice
like Chet Huntley) that I wanted a left pedal for my bike. He questioned me
"Left?" And of course I said "right." Well, I think you can see where that
went (he strung me along for about two minutes). Thanks again, I'll print
your reply out and slip it into Phun's book so I don't forget.
Tom Witt B9470101