Re: offset vs. backspace

To: "Sharon Mountjoy" <mtjoy@telis.org>
Subject: Re: offset vs. backspace
From: "Tony Someone" <tonythetiger@onecliq.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:47:51 -0600
We could get into tire specs, which would be the missing link to actually
determining if a wheel/tire combination would fit the space we have
available
in our wheel arches, but that's another story...

Darrell
Hi Men and Ladies too- much talk about offset, negative and positive etc
etc. I always use the"lay wheel on its face, lay straight edge across back
of wheel and the distance between the line created by the srraight edge and
the measurement I read from it to the mating surface of the inside or back
side of the wheel"- then I know if it will work BUT some wheels have an
offset(wrong word but we are now educated in its meaning) that may work on a
Tiger but it has a frontal measurement that makes it hit the wheel wells
unless the car has flares et. IF someone on the LIST has the measurements of
the extreme ammount allowed on front and back, then he/she will have sent
the best information available for someone looking at used wheels or odering
a wheel for a Capri ,as an example, because Sunbeam isnt listed. Perhaps
telling a wheel salesperson the wheels you want fit a Mustang2 but you need
X ammount of offset etc, so they will fit your car. In Ca. there are tons of
places to buy or order from, in pahrump or n Benton, there are only a few
car dealers and a junk yard or two, so an actual "acceptable wheel size"
chart would be handy to have in my Tiger folder. Thanks for lisitening to my
weak mind pushing my arthretic fingers across the keyboard and have a
wonderful hump day. warmest regards, Tony the Tiger