RE: Heat at Speed

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Heat at Speed
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 19:48:15 -0400
I, too, have a Weiand manifold on my Tiger and went through a period of
trying to sort out what was an apparent high temp reading.  I have used a
non-stock thermostat housing for a long time on my Tiger which has a
threaded inlet for a temp gauge.  It took some doing, but I found an
adapter that allows me to mount the stock temp sender in the thermostat
housing so I didn't have to mount it on the manifold.  I don't remember
where I got the thermostat housing, but it is a Ford part and solved my
problem.  I can send a pic if you would like.  It turned out that my temp
gauge was reading high, a fact I verfied with the help of an infrared
thermometer from Radio Shack.  By putting a resistor in series with the
gauge, I was able to adjust the gauge reading so that it now reads
correctly.  You might want to try to verify your gauge readings by some
other means such as an IR thermometer or replacing your gauge with a
mechanical one for a while.  It turns out that many of us have thought we
had a problem with high temps only to find that it is the gauge.

I am running a 260 with a 4-bbl and cam.  My car has a recored radiator
from Maine Radiator (stock dimensions) and uses a 15" Derale fan #17015 and
blocked horn openings.  It will seldom approach 200 F, even when idling for
long periods.  Of course, I live in Maine, where we only have two seasons,
winter and 4th of July.
Regards,
Tod
B382002384LRXFE