Re: Cobra Owner?

To: sfm081@rain.org, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cobra Owner?
From: MACHWIL@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:00:10 EDT
Jay,
My Cobra is a 289 leaf spring, CSX2046. It was a worm and sector steering
car, probably like yours. We converted it to rack and pinion, replaced the
front
 spring tower to Mark 2 specs, and double tubed the 3" frame rails (put
another  tube inside the existing frame tubes). It had side vents when I bought
the
car  but they were not on it originally. Mike McCluskey did the original
restoration  for the PO many years before. I Bought it in '79 or '80. Ron
Butler
did the  conversion work for me. Ron worked for Shelby many years as race
mechanic during  the run for the world championship. He acquired the jigs,
fixtures, patterns,  etc. when Shelby shut the Cobras down, including the
chassis
surface plate.  Couldn't get the Mark 2 spindles, steering arms and the upper
spring   swivels  from Brian Anglis as he and Shelby were not agreeing on much
at
the time. In my shop we duplicated the parts and had them cast in 4130
steel.
I would be happy to help you any way I can. If you want to contact me off
this list I will give you my phone number,
This car was featured in "Automobile Quarterly" book in the '70s, and is on
the "Now And Forever Cobra"  poster. It was the yellow one. That was when  the
PO owned it.
Sorry to bomb the list, if that is what I'm doing.
Bud Williams