Re: Hi-Po 289 valve adjustments

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hi-Po 289 valve adjustments
From: Diane & Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:27:25 -0700
I was asked about this, so I'm posting the 3 valve adjustment points in
Tom Monroe's book.
BTW, the publisher of HOW TO REBUILD YOUR SMALL-BLOCK FORD is HPBooks.

This is for 260, 289 &302 cid, only.  351W has a different firing order

Point 1: TDC
adjustable valves: #1, 7 & 8 intake; 1, 4 & 5 exhaust

Point 2: 180 degrees clockwise from point 1
adjustable valves: #4 & 5 intake; #2 & 6 exhaust

Point 3: 270 degrees clockwise from point 2
adjustable valves: # 2, 3 & 6 intake; 3, 7 & 8 exhaust

Here are some other things to consider.  Poly-Locks require a bit more
valve cover Clarence.  A couple
of options here is to use 2 gaskets or to do a little bashing of the
interior baffles.  I replaced my valve
cover bolts with studs and nuts.  This makes the gasket alignment easier
and cover removal/replacement
a bit faster.  I don't have these, but long stem wing nuts would make
removal/replacement faster and
easier, also.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I use a stepper type feeler
gauge.

Roland