RE: Engine removal

To: "'Bob Dixon'" <bobdixon@frii.com>
Subject: RE: Engine removal
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:27:00 -0600
Bob,
I just reinstalled my engine/trans combination from the bottom about a week
ago, from the bottom. I'd removed the old engine and trans the same way. The
whole car was jacked about 18" or 20" off the ground (at the frame rails). I
used an engine hoist attached at the front of each head, and a hydraulic
floor jack for the transmission support. I put the engine/trans in place and
then installed the headers afterward... This is something that's generally
done simultaneously (with the headers sort of hung in place but with the
bolts not tightened up) if you're going in from the bottom.

Removing or installing things from the top requires a lot of overhead
clearance because the engine and trans need to be tilted at a pretty extreme
angle to exit the engine compartment - I only have 8 feet of overhead and
that's not really enough.

I have one of the 'import' engine hoists... Rated at 1000 pounds even in its
longest-reach position, works great, and cost me something like $150 Cdn.
The legs fold up so that it takes up about 2x3 feet in the garage when I'm
not using it.

Good luck,
Theo