Re: Non Tiger---T5 information needed

To: "Dan Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Non Tiger---T5 information needed
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:45:51 -0800
At 07:26 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
>Sorry to bomb the list, but I was hoping someone on the list could assist me
>in identifying a T5 transmission I'm about to purchase. I'm looking at a T5
>transmission with Tag numbers xr3r7003da  and 1356-260.
>Thanks,
>Dan Eiland

Dan,
I'm not sure what info you need, but I can give you some basic
facts.  First, because the application is for a V6, the gear ratios
should have the 3.35 first gear and the 0.73 overdrive and I'd expect
a torque rating of 265 ft-lbs.  The main drive input gear should have
the longer (7.85) length shaft of the late model V8 T5's. The clutch
should have the same pilot bearing diameter as the V8 but the clutch
splines could be different.  Because of the electric speedo, the
output shaft may not have the indent hole for the mechanical speedo
gear retention clip. You should be able to replace the main drive
gear and the retainer from an earlier V8 to get the shorter input of
the pre modular, T5's, but be careful to maintain the correct
preload. I think you'll find this trans essentially the same spec as
the 1352-238 used in the 97 3.8 V6 but with the electronic speedo setup.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering
www.tigerengineering.net