Re: Theft

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Theft
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:24:56 -0500
Hello All:

I live in Maine where we tend to leave everything unlocked (I know, I
know), but I do have a couple of things I do for my Tiger.  First of all I
got one of those battery disconnect devices which bolt onto one of the
battery terminals and have a screw-in bolt to make the connection.  If you
remove the bolt and then lock the boot (trunk), it does provide some
deterence.  Having had a big Healey with no locks except the boot before
the Tiger, that was the only anti-theft device besides the ignition key
they had.  Secondly, I have on occasion lifted the bonnet (hood) and simply
popped off one of the wires leading to the ignition coil resistor.  It'll
crank, but not start.  You could, as someone else suggested, also remove
the rotor from the distributor.  If I were to go further, I would go with a
switch for the fuel pump, maybe in the lockable cubby between the
seats.  As someone said, anything is defeatable, but you can drive someone
nuts if you have enough obstacles in place.  I also think (and this is
probably the Yankee mind set at work) that this stuff should be subtle so
that the solution to the problem is not obvious.

Cheers,
Tod
B382002384LRXFE