Cooling the Tiger

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Cooling the Tiger
From: Fhsloth3@cs.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:32:51 EDT
I am the editor of the Rootes Review, the newsletter of TE/AE.

I, too had a Tiger that ran hot, 215 degrees, never blew the radiator cap,
but was very uncomfortable to drive in warm weather.

After working with Tom and Chuck King on the article as to how it would be
presented in the newsletter and studying their results, I made the following
changes to the Tiger:

1.   Had the stock, 41 year old radiator professionally cleaned and
strengthened
      where needed.

2.   Installed the Ford Fairmont pulley talked about in the article.

3.   Installed a 14" (didn't want to raise the motor as suggested for a 15"
fan) flex fan

4.   Blocked off the horn holes and relocated the horns.

5.   Added two gallons of new antifreeze.

I did not change any hoses or the thermostat, or flush the block.

What was a Tiger running at 215 degrees on the highway became a Tiger that
runs at 180-190 degrees at idle for 45 minutes in the sun on a 75 degree day.

I check the temperature before and after using a Stewart-Warner temperature
gauge mounted in the engine compartment, with its sending unit mounted where
the original unit would have been.

A 25-35 degree drop is significant, and now the car is much more fun to drive
on warm sunny days.

Thanks to Tiger Tom and Chuck King for their three years of testing and
analysis.

Fred Baum
A cool running, fun to drive 9470768