Re: Thoughts on undercoating a Tiger

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thoughts on undercoating a Tiger
From: Oryx40@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:47:58 EDT
I think the best way to remove your undercoating and factory body
sealant/caulking it to first remove it by hand.  This can be done with a large
assortment
of screwdrivers/scrapers then have the car media blasted.  The media blasting
will remove the remaining paint rust and small chunks.
  Blasting does not work all that well on spongy materials like
caulking/rubber and this is usually the areas that need the most attention for
the proper
adherence of your sealer.

Good blasters will remove the caulking and tuff stuff by hand anyway and you
will never know they did it by hand (Its faster to scrape off big stuff then
it is to blast it off.) I think the key to remember when you get the car back
from the blaster is that the rust prone areas are completely cleaned and ready
for your sealer.
Ryan B