tach tech

To: "Tiger Email List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: tach tech
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:52:41 -0700
Hey gang:

I have an MSD distributor, but without the capacitor discharge box (I may add
one in the future) . The tach in my tiger is reasonably accurate up to about
2500 rpm but after that it's erratic and goes completely nuts above 3000.

I know the stock tach is only compatible with points or with Pertronix unit,
but would prefer to stick with this distributor. Read the article on the STOA
site about  adding a capacitor and other mods, but am wondering if anybody has
another resource or recommendations for getting the tach modified or rebuilt
to work with electronic ignition.

Mo Ma says they can rebuild it to work with electronic ign. for about $200,
which sounds pretty much like replacing the entire guts. Nisonger says it
can't be done and recommends the Smiths unit for a 427 Cobra.

Thoughts?