wiper motor connections

To: "Tiger Email List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: wiper motor connections
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:32:05 -0700
Need some help on connecting the wiper motor on my Tiger.

Somewhere along the line, the wires got unplugged (easy for a foot to snag
them) from the time I inspected it and the time I bought it and brought it
home, some time ago. The wipers worked at inspection.

The motor appears to be a used item installed by a previous owner and its
wires do not have identifiable color codes. They're all kind of a dingy
brown/gray and look like they might even be cotton insulated.

I realize that the motor speeds work by connecting one or both motor leads to
ground via the wiper switch and the remaining wire from the motor goes to a
12V positive lead.

 I have been able to get one speed working  (can't tell if it's fast or slow)
, by switching through a matrix of possible wire combinations, but that's also
resulting in some blown fuses and I can't get both speeds working.

Is there a way to test the motor leads with an ohmmeter or some other
technique to figure out which is which?