Re: Stolen car

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stolen car
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:19:51 -0700
> YOUR CAR'S VIN NUMBER

I worked at the parts department of a new car dealer many years ago.
We had various key cutter machines, if you had the key code, we could go
back and get a small handheld cutter that you dialed the number into and
squeezed hard and out popped the cut key, flip it over and cut the other
side.
I think one of the brands we sold required that you look up the key code in
a book and then it gave you a translation for the cutter.

The system is only as reliable as the most unreliable guy in the parts
department.  At the time, most of the factory keys had the key code on the
side, so finding the key code wasn't too hard for anyone that had even a
moment alone with your keys (like a valet, or mechanic).  If you just lost
your keys, you could go back to the dealer you bought it from, and many
times, they would have your paperwork on file and could look up your key
code.  At the time, if you didn't buy the car from our dealer, we didn't
have any way of looking up the key code.  If the manufacture ever kept a
master record of key codes vs. VIN codes, it was closely held, and was not
made available to the dealers.  The paperwork at the dealer that held your
key code was reasonably secure, since it had all of your financing info and
stuff as well.  But I am sure that an unethical finance clerk could probably
get their hands on them.... and keep in mind, that would have your address
and employer on it as well.

I have also heard rumors that your financing company can request your key
code, if they want to repo your car, but never heard confirmation on that.
The one repo guy I knew always used a flatbed trailer to retrieve cars.

Not sure how things have advanced with the advent of the passive computer
chips in the keys.  But at the time, I worked at a car dealer, it wouldn't
have been hard for me to have made a key from a key code, but it would have
counted on me getting the code from someone, or having access to the record
of the sale of your car at my dealership (which I wouldn't have had).

Well that is about all the info that I know about the subject.

Steve