RE: Stolen car

To: "'Tigerman'" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>, <CoolVT@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Stolen car
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:37:01 -0700
Toyotas have the key code stamped on the driver's side lock cylinder. I had
one where the key profile was such that any attempt to duplicate the key
using a conventional key grinder wheel would create a big stress riser
halfway up the key and it would invariably break (inside the door lock)
after about a year, and the original keyset (which includes a little metal
tag with the key code stamped into it) was long gone. So I ended up
disassembling the driver's door to get the code and then just gave the
numbers to the dealer. The parts guy didn't question the numbers I gave him,
but I did show him the problem keys and I'm a regular customer there, so
that may have helped.

Depending on the skill of the parts guy, and the condition of a key, they
may be able to read back the original key code right from the key.

Theo