Re: [Tigers] CASTROL SYNTEC 20W-50-a highzinc formula specially

To: j.brawley@comcast.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] CASTROL SYNTEC 20W-50-a highzinc formula specially
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:31:47 -0700 (PDT)
For most cars high additive oil is good. The EPA is making it difficult for
the oil folks to cram the nice metals in our oil. You will also see RACING OIL
and have the "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" sticker on them for that reason. In
general from what I have seen on the web these additives are good for most
engines as they prevent metal to metal contact under high loads and help
prevent wear.

Also poke around on the web you will find a few sites that
have analyzed most racing and other oils for their additive package (After you
get through all the AMS oil ads and such). One thing that I have found was
that Diesel oil has a good deal of additives like the racing oils and is not
much more then regular oils. Also some of the motorcycle oils (Sometimes V
Twin specific) have the high additive contents as well. I have been running
Mobil1 Synthetic Diesel (Delvac) on and off with no issues (It's now rebranded
asTurbo Diesel Truck Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 and easily had vs. the Delvac
branding). Also running racing Royal Purple which has a high additive (read
zinc and others). **Caution opinion ahead**, you don't want to run the
synthetics in older non-roller lifer cars. Many people do, but seems some
folks have had issues mainly related to the oils beeing too slippery to spin
the lifter and that may cause other wear issues.

I think this is the site
that had a lot of good info on oil and related. I think somewhere off that
link had the breakdown of different additives (zinc, moly etc) for a bunch of
brands. In general the Diesel oils (both synth and dino) were very high as was
most of the racing oils.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Have fun lots
of time sifting info from the web...