Re: [Tigers] CASTROL SYNTEC 20W-50-a highzinc formula specially

To: "Rob Guerra" <bomber44@comcast.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] CASTROL SYNTEC 20W-50-a highzinc formula specially
From: "Tiger Man" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:30:48 -0600
--===============1585008981==

When I was in the Army almost 20 years ago, they relied on Oil Analysis to
deteremine when to change oil in thier big diesel trucks as well as the
tracked vehicles which have capacities in the multiple gallons.

I recently started doing oil analysis on my vehicles at home, it can give
you a good idea if there is a problem developing inside or not.  You can
also use it for determining extended oil change.  Normally the basic oil
analysis can tell you how high the contamination level is that might point
out if you have an air filtration problem or some specific part wearing out
inside the engine, it will also tell you things like boiling point (fuel
contamination), and its current viscosity vs rated visocity ( viscosity
breakdown)..  They also have a suplimental test that can tell you how much
is left of your additivites package that can be useful to determine when it
is time to change your oil (if either contaminates gets high or additive
package gets low, its time to change).

Anyway, I use blackstone labs for my analysis, and like them because they
send me the bottles and packaging, and when i do an oil change, I send it
in, and i get a custom evaluation of what the analysis means as well as the
absolute numbers.

So doing oil analysis at least a few times might get you a better idea of
how long you can go without changing the oil.

Steve