[Tigers] Gas mileage

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Gas mileage
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:51:42 EST
After reading a recent article on a Corvette it caused me to do  some
thinking.  How is it that a 3500lb.(approx.) Corvette with 400 HP can  get 32
mpg on
the highway and a 2500 lb. Tiger with 164 HP can only manage  22mpg?
I realize that the Vet will have a fuel management system which  should be
much better than a carb. and the cleaner front lines of the Vet will  be much
better for drag than a Tiger, but.......
When a few people have switched a fairly modern Ford 5.0 (fuel  injected)
engine into their Tiger, I've never heard them brag of 30  mpg.
And sure, the Tiger is like a brick wall as far as design goes, but  it's not
like a van or a big truck.  The aerodynamics might be terrible,  but this is
still a pretty small car and the frontal area is  not huge.
Also, I think the Vet is 6 speed with double overdrive.  I  imagine that at
road speed this thing isn't much above idle...maybe 1,400  rpm?   By today's
standards our Tiger is really winding at 3,000 rpm  at 70mph.
So, what is the Vet's secret?  Is it just a combination of  many small things
adding up to create efficiency?