Re: [Tigers] Gas mileage

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gas mileage
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:45:11 -0800
Mileage can be a mystery.
  I had a 260 Falcon that that I did everything to enhance mileage. The best
I ever got was 21 MPG going 50 MPH. A friends mom had a much heavier Montego
with a 302 and got 24 MPG going 65 MPH. Go figure.

  My '91 Mazda 323 buzzes at 3,000 RPM and if I drive 55-60 MPH I get 43-45
MPG.  So, in all these cases engine size, vehicle weight and RPM don't seem
to add up right.  My '73 Valiant won't get over 14.7 MPG - PERIOD.  Changed
the heads to swirl port, mileage cam, dialed in Edelbrock carb., Edelbrock
Performer intake, - drive like "Granny." Doesn't matter 14.7 MPG. Others
claim their heavier Mopar Lux-O-Boats get 20-24 MPG. Again, go figure.

 I would love for a TV show to find two identical cars, - with significantly
different mileage. Pull them apart and determine why the difference.

Tom