Re: [Tigers] SS wheel spacers

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] SS wheel spacers
From: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:12:42 -0800 (PST)
I also have 14" Panasports on my Mark II, tried using Rick's spacer and had the
same problem: not enough thread.  I just removed the spacer: all is fine now.
Not really sure why I felt I even needed the spacer: everything works just fine
without it.

  Bill Waite
  Grand Rapids, MI

"James E. Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net> wrote:
  OK, installing longer lug bolts is going to be far more difficult than I
imagined. First of all, I have to remove the rear hubs, which requires a
special tool I'll have to fabricate. But even worse, apparently longer lug
bolts are not available that are the same diameter, requiring the hub holes to
be drilled out to a larger size. There is a spacer available with built-in
bolts, but this one is 1" thick and won't fit under my stock non-flared
fenders.

So, my question is: are the stock lug bolts long enough to safely use when
installing Rick's 1/4" spacers? I have 14" Panasport wheels and I only get a
few turns on each lug nut before I get some resistance. I can get a couple
more turns when I tighten them up. Is that enough? Is anybody else using
this set-up? Or is this more dangerous than not using the spacers at all?

Jim Pickard
B9473298 ('65 Tiger)
AN5L/12109 ('59 Sprite)
2003 Mini Cooper