Re: [Tigers] A better way to communicate ?

To: <sralsten@ca.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] A better way to communicate ?
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:02:20 -0600
Hi Steve,
There are other online Tiger communities, and quite a few people
participate in more than one. Go visit www.teae.org and check out their
online forum - it's basically what you're describing.

I find that, while the bulletin-board style of forum preserves each
topic in its own chronological space, it also requires you to
individually page through all the subjects to catch up on what's going
on, and if there's any significant traffic volume at all, that becomes a
big time sink, and you may miss out on threads in subjects whose
sub-forums you don't often visit. The mailing list operates in exactly
the opposite way: Messages get pushed to you, and you see all the
traffic. Some mail readers can do threading for you; they'll sort stuff
by at least the subject, and if possible index by who replied to what.

When tigersunited.com was first brought online, it also featured a
bulletin board type forum, but it never attracted enough people to gain
critical mass (most of the visitors to tu.com were already subscribers
to this mailing list), and so it languished and was eventually
mothballed. There was just no reason to create yet another parallel
information exchange.

Cheers,
Theo