[Tigers] Holley Gasket Sealing

To: TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: [Tigers] Holley Gasket Sealing
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:47:33 -0700
Hello Sunbeamers:
The Tiger is just about ready for the trip to Tiger's United next week.

I am thinking of re-installing my Adjust A Jet plate on my Holley carb.
For anyone who doesn't know, you take out the jets and add the Adjust A
Jet plate between the fuel bowl and the metering plate. The kit gives
you longer bolts and a longer accelerator pump lever to cover the added
distance. The idea is that now you can adjust your jet size with the
engine running by just turning the Adjust A Jet valve with a screw
driver. When you're at high altitude and need to, just lean it out a
bit. When you get back down to lower altitude, just turn the valve back
the other way. No more taking the carb apart  to change jets.

Last time I messed up the Adjust A Jet install by tightening the longer
fuel bowl bolts too much (since I couldn't get the gasket to seal) which
distorted the gaskets and forced material into the accelerator pump
vacuum passage, which really messed things up. I reverted back to the
stock Holley set up but I had to take the carb apart, clean it out, and
install new gaskets. It's running great again but I would like to try
the Adjust A Jet again.

What's the best way to get those Holley fuel bowls to seal properly, and
know you haven't tightened things too much? With the Adjust A Jet there
are two gaskets to seal; the original, and the second, unique gasket
between the Adjust A Jet and the metering block.

Steve Sage

Database version: 5.10090e
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/