[Tigers] Running hot

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Running hot
From: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:22:49 -0400
Odd thing- looking for ideas of what to explore.

I had an engine built- a 347 stroker. It had some issues causing it to be torn
back down. But the good thing was it did not run hot. Seemed to stay below 200
degrees even when idling for a long time.

With the recent tear down to fix a problem I had them install a new Edelbrock
intake and we installed a new distributor. Other than those and the
replacement piston and rings to fix the issue, these were the only new parts I
know of. Now the engine runs hot. I mean real hot. On the 78 degree day it was
running up to 225 degrees on the streets with just a few lights. If I stayed
on the highway I could keep it around 200 degrees.  I got home and let it idle
for a few minutes and quickly climbed to 250 when I shut it off. the fuel
began to boil and the overflow tank spit out some. This is a real change from
where it was before.

I was thinking of doing the following:
Make sure they have the correct thermostat in it- maybe they did something
wierd this time around with the new intake
Make sure the fan is on correctly- it is a flex fan that worked fine before.
Not even sure they could install incorrectly but will look tonight
Perhaps they installed the intake manifold gaskets incorrectly. I seem to
recall from the two engines I build that you could put them on either upside
down or wrong side and it might block some passaged. But my memory could be
off here.

Since my time in the car is limited and I just did the temperature testing
yesterday I haven't expored anything yet. Thought I would throw this out in
the meantime since I only had a few minutes tonight and didn't think I would
get out to the garage.

Curt Hoffman