Re: [Tigers] oil coolers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] oil coolers
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:17:20 -0500
It would be pretty hard to take heat out of an engine via an oil cooler and
then put it back into a radiator and gain heat. Any heat that escapes
because of the oil cooler is heat that the radiator doesn't have to deal
with.  If it can be put so that none of it goes back into the radiator it is
of course more of a benefit.  That being said it might still not be worth
your time, especially if you don't have a problem.  For those that do have a
problem, every little bit helps. -- Bill --

No, Unless you are racing or running your car at the limits an oil cooler
will not provide much benefit.  Although they look cool if they are in a
location where you can see them.  The location you are suggesting probably
would not get enough airflow to provide any benefit.

I researched this quite a bit thinking the same way you were and I could not
find a single reputable mechanic that thought it was worth the time or
effort unless  I was running my car at the extremes

I also would be hesitant on putting any heat emitting device in front of the
radiator.  This would provide some offset to the what little cooling
benefits you may get.

Just my 2 cents

Lynn