Re: [Tigers] oil coolers

To: awtiger@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] oil coolers
From: "Owain Lloyd" <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 19:08:36 +0100
ok, well i'll put a temp gauge in first and if its on the high side
(which would be what? over 250?) then i'll put the cooler in the front
valance side hole.

thanks all.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM,  <awtiger@cox.net> wrote:
> Owain:
>
> There's a shop here in OKC that builds and maintains vintage racing cars for
clients who race all over the U.S.  When I was building my vintage racing
Alpine, I visited at length with the chief mechanic over there about cooling
the car.  His main advice to me was that, given enough radiator capacity for
the engine, air management is paramount to properly cooling a car.  One of the
things I noticed while there was that NONE of the race cars in their shop had
the oil coolers mounted in front of the radiators.  His comment, when I asked
him about that, was why make the radiator have to work harder than it already
has to?  Placing an oil cooler in front of a radiator will raise the
temperature, although slightly, of the air coming out of it.  That heated air
then goes into the radiator to cool the water.   This, of course not as
efficient as using ambient air to cool the water.  I took his advice and
placed my oil cooler (a small MOCAL unit) on the passenger side just behind
the lower valance opening.  I took the extra step of ducting it to where air
coming through the oil cooler could not get to the radiator.  I am happy to
report no overheating issues whatsoever with that arrangement, even while
winding the Alpine engine out to the limit!!!

> By the way, the same shop that I referred to above was also the shop that
maintained the Lister Tiger of Syd Silverman, which he regularly vintage
raced.  Of course, this is the car now owned by Darrell Mountjoy.
Consequently, they have had direct Tiger experience from which to draw.

> Once again, however, to echo previous respondents, unless you are driving
your car at it's rpm limits, I would not go to the trouble or expense to fit a
cooler.  It won't provide enough of a cooling difference for a street car.