[Tigers] Air Fuel Ratios

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Air Fuel Ratios
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:16:46 -0600
Hi all,

Well I hadn't driven my tiger in a while and it seems like something in the
carb is gummed up, and the car seems to be running very rich.  I plan on
trying to get some carb cleaner though it to clean it up and make it run
better, but I thought I would also ask a question that has interested me for
a while.

What air fuel ratios should a 60's era V-8 running a carb?  I know that
'ideal' ratio is 14.7, but If I remember right, ideal ratio is too lean for
a carb since it doesn't have the fancy O2 sensor that a factory Fuel
Injection system would have.

I also assume that there are probably multiple air fuel ratios that you
should shoot for, depending on whether you are idling, heavy load, WOT,
light load cruising, etc.

So anyone have any nice simple rules of thumb for street cars?

Thanks,
Steve