Re: [Tigers] Gauge Cleaning

To: "michael king" <michael.s.king@gmail.com>, "Tony McNulty"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gauge Cleaning
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:22:48 -0600
In the tachs I've refurbished I can definitely tell when the needle has
been painted. Fortunately there is a counterweight on the shaft
mechanism that can be adjusted to account for extra or reduced weight.

The small gauges have a completely different operating mechanism than
the tach or speedo, and they also don't sweep out nearly as much of an
angle as the tach or speedo, so they are actually less affected by the
mass of the paint. Still, there is little purpose to piling it on too
thick. If you're re-doing an earlier paint job then it's worth taking
the time to remove the old extra paint from the needles.

Theo