Re: [Tigers] Instrument Bulbs

To: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Instrument Bulbs
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:56:28 -0300
Hi Tod:

There was an early attempt to brighten up our instruments with 2.5 Volt
bulbs you could buy at the Radio Shack. Putting 12V through these low
voltage bulbs made them a lot brighter, but they didn't last very long...I
remember something like an hour or two.

But for you and other "night vision challenged" Tiger drivers like myself,
the real answer to your problem of instruments that cannot be seen in the
dark, click on:
http://www.lbcarco.com/
This is complex website with tons of goodies for our cars. Click on the
above link, and then when it opens:

Click on "Special Offers and great gift ideas"

Scroll down and click on: "Halogen Bulbs & Headlamps"

Then click on: "List ALL 12V Halogen Bulbs"

Fill your boots, but bring lots of money, they are expensive.

I have had these bulbs in my MGB and my Tiger for more than 5 years each,
and they are literally fantastic. I met the gentleman who owns the Little
British  Car Co
several years ago at the British Invasion in Stowe, VT, and inquired as to
the relatively high price of these bulbs. He told me they are hand made by a
gentleman in Australia, who buys the halogen elements and hand-fits the
various bases found in our "LBC's".

While I first fit them to my MGB, the instruments in almost all LBC's are
the same, so the bulbs are completely inter-changeable with our Tigers..

I also fit the dual filament halogen bulbs to my tail/brake light sockets,
and have had many comments about their brightness. A friend who followed me
home one dark night thought my brake lights were stuck on until I actually
braked for a stop sign and the real brake lights came on!

Try 'em you'll like 'em.

Dave