Re: [Tigers] Instrument Bulbs

To: Larry Paulick <lpaulick@comcast.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Instrument Bulbs
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:21:48 -0300
Hi Larry;

I have had this question from many to whom I have shown my bright lights.
But after 5 years in two cars and some (est) 12 - 15,000 miles, I see
absolutely no problem.

With a caveat that in the MGB, there is a light dimmer switch and I don't
drive at night with the instruments lit up on full bright..they are just too
bright. On the Tiger or course there is no such potentiometer,  and I am
only just starting to put some serious miles on  the Cat, so as a guess
there are likely fewer than 2,000  miles driven with the panel lights on.

As you know, in Canada we have a requirement to keep the headlights on at
all times, so during the day I turn off the panel lights when the headlights
are on.

But I have seen no signs of excessive heat in either my instruments or in
the tail light housings, where I also have these bulbs fitted,

I do note that the price has increased rather dramatically in the recent
past. When I bought mine back in 2003 and 2005, they were approx $12 each
(bad enough!) but now they are selling for $20 each. (Currently on sale for
roughly $15 each at LBCarCo), apparently due to the recent fall of the
dollar against the Ozzie buck. A serious commitment from the night vision
challenged!

Works for me...

Cheers,

Dave