Re: [Tigers] proper engine color

To: "'Tiger Email List'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] proper engine color
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:48:33 -0400
I have been investigating the Color of the B19KC engine group and here are
some of my findings to date.
I have found this to be very interesting and challenging quest and it is
still not complete.
Thank you very much to those who sent me information and pictures so far.

Some Ford History:

Most of the engines built for Rootes and the Tiger were built at the
Cleveland, Ohio foundry.

The C6OE 289 block castings were built at the Windsor, Ontario foundry.

Ford changed the color of the engines for the 1966 model year, Ford model
year ends July 1965.

The Ford engine ID tag, the small aluminum tag on the intake manifold, has
66 for the model year and 9 for the change level which corresponds to the
change to Ford Corporate Blue, OFB.

The Ford Cleveland foundry cast a special intake manifold, C5OE-9425D, for
Rootes and the Tiger, to date all the casting dates for this manifold has
been 5A28 - Jan 28 1965.   This I believe is a 289 manifold,C5AE-D, with the
casting number changed and 289 removed from the casting. It may also be
correct that all these Tiger manifolds were cast in 1 day, Jan, 28 1965 but
that is a guess right now.

I received confirmation of 260 engines built in Oct 1965 with engine ID tags
containing 66 and 9 and they are all painted OFB from List members.

Right now I conclude from this limited information that any B19KC engine
build with an Aug 1965 date code, 5H, and after with an engine tag
containing 66 and 9 are painted OFB.

B19KC engines built before Aug 1965 will have an engine tag with 65 and 8 or
a lesser number for the change level, they are painted black.

Here is a web site with some engine tag details.

http://www.fordification.com/engineIDtags.htm

I'm still looking for more information about the total B19KC engine build so
feel free to add to this information pool.

Thanks for listening
Ron Fraser