Re: [Tigers] FlowMaster too loud?

To: "Teepen, Jere" <jteepen@usatoday.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] FlowMaster too loud?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:13:12 -0800
A bit remembered:

When I purchased a 1941 Ford Convertible  I had "GlassPacks" (or
CherryBombs" installed.  It wasn't TOO loud.  "GlassPacks" were the
muffler of the era, and regularly blew out the fiberglass stuffing and
became VERY loud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasspack

My 1951 MG-TD had a "GlassPack" and a "cut-out" exhaust pipe swapper to
a straight through pipe.  The "cut-out" was a bolt on from the Pep Boys,
and would leak through the "sandwich seal".  Had to replace it with a
simple "Y", and put a large plumbing plug at the end of the tail pipe.
OK when through the GlassPack, and multi-loud with the straight pipe.

My 1954 XK120M had the factory exhaust with dual muffler cores inside a
single outer wrap, and twin exhaust systems for front and rear 3
cylinders all the way to the rear.  NON "M" versions had only one
muffler, and later XK140 models had separated exhausts.  The 120M set-up
was the BEST sounding ever.

So, to answer the question "How loud is too loud?", there ARE
authorities on the subject.  They usually have the same first name -
"Officer"

Most municipalities, and even states, have "noise abatement" regulations
and significant fines requiring proof of "fixing" at an authorized
repair station.  I know, I've met them.  In the early days they seemed
to hate "foreign cars" and hot-rods.

As I dimly recall, 110 db is the max allowed by statute.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com