Re: [Tigers] Tiger MK II sniping thoughts

To: Scott Hutchinson <shutchin@netjets.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger MK II sniping thoughts
From: Owain Lloyd <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:38:01 +0000
i suppose this is related enough to tigers for me to get away with a
response without offending people.  although i'm sure my techniques will
offen someone!

it depends how many people are interested and how they bid themselves.   the
problem with ebay's bid system is that other people keep bidding until they
are the winning bidder so easily push it up to your high amount.  not
everyone bids like you do.  this drives the prices nice and high for ebay.
by sniping, either manually or using a service, the other bidders relax at a
stable equilibrium and then you come from nowhere and they don't have time
to respond.

i find people never snipe too late on cars so IF there is a lot of people
interested its best not to bid until the last 20 seconds or so. and then put
another bid for the max you want to pay about 5 seconds before the end just
in case.

i've won a few cars this way.  one in particular had about 25 bids from 12
people.  i bid about 20% higher in the last 10 seconds and won it by 10
pounds!  this shows its better to bid an amount just over a round number
because you will win it if other people have put in the same bid.  for
example, if you want to pay $20,000, bid $20,010.   if the current high
bidder also bid 20,000 you will still win it without having to pay much
more.