Re: [Tigers] Voltage Regulator ?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Voltage Regulator ?
From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 21:04:02 -0500
The most obvious place to look is the tension on
the drive belt.  On a generator, these have to be
set JUST right -- the jawbone solution is that it
should deflect about a quarter of an inch on its
longest throw at twenty pounds or so of
pressure.  But I am too lazy to dig out my shop
manual to check the factory specs.  The important
thing to bear in mind is that if it is too loose,
it will slip at speed and, if it is too tight, it
will cause at least the front bearing in the generator to fail.

If the voltage regulator itself is at fault, then
swap with a new unit.  These are not terribly
expensive when NOS can be found.  I do not
believe that they are still in production.

A rebuilt generator ought to be available.

But check the fan belt, first.  That is the most likely culprit.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!