Re: [Tigers] Fulcrum Pin Survey

To: wsamouce@kc.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fulcrum Pin Survey
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:37:31 EST
Lower pin break

Front of pin The wheel collapses in turns left.  Your car
takes an immedaite left and you can't steer.

Back of pin break same as front except you turn right.
This is what happened in my last break.  At 10 mph my son
hit an Explorer on this right on the took out a light pole

My first break with stock pins and bushing broke at the rear.   The
wheel collapsed and the car went left.  I was going 65-70 on
QE1 in Canada with my wife and son.  It was all I could do to
keep control.  I remember just missing some bridge supports
and finalliy skidding into the grave shoulder. I purposely did
not apply the brakes until the end when I used the hand brake.
If I had hit the brakes hard, the car probably would have
snap rolled to the right. It was hard to sleep that night.

The Logan fix should be on the TE/AE web site.  I'm trying to
recover my info from my hard drive and can then send it to
those interested.  I did this a few years ago to listers.

I believe a CAT member was killed when his pin broke and
the car rolled.  I suspect that it was a broken pin that
caused that terrible accident to  a TEAE member in Southern IL.
an the way back from a United.

This is serious stuff. As Dr Herro said.  This design may have  been
OK 40 years ago.  Today it would not pass automotive engineering
standards.  But few 40 years old cars do.  Don't even think  about
asking about the king pins and bushings used on Model A's.

Dr Herro advised to not stop driving your car.  But make it  a  point
to check your car when possible.  Be alert to 'strange feelings' in  the
steering, and wear a seat belt.It you are racing or competing it is
mandatory to check the pins.

If you have friends that are engineers in failure analysis, have them
look in the textbook they used.  Dr Herro was one of the  authors.
IE He wrote the textbook.

Dave

Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000002)