Re: [Tigers] Fulcrum Pin Survey

To: cburruss@hiwaay.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fulcrum Pin Survey
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 20:10:34 EST
You may have just saved yourself and the car.
That how the pins cracks start.  According
to Dr Herro, Failure in steel occurs at about
the speed of sound (600 mph at sea level)
Do the math  600mi/hr x 5280 ft/mi x 12 in /ft
60min/hr x 60 sec/min = 1043333 in / sec

The pin will continue to crack a litlle bit each
time the stress exceeds the strength of the
pin, until catestropohic failure. If the pins are
1 inch that means 1/1043333 sec to break.

How quick is your reaction time?

If you never exceed the pins strength again
the pin may last forever.  But who knows

Ever see aircraft wings pre cracked to
determine the strength of the wing?  Never
exceed the load and the wings will last for years.
Exceed the load and the wing may break off.
Not good if you are in the air.

Several years ago I tried to present my information
at a TE/AE United and was denied because I wasn't on
the schedule. They pooh-poohed my warnings
as crying the 'sky is falling'

I was shouting at a brick wall. I sat out in the hall
and passed out my information to those who
wanted it.

I say again, if you have your front end apart, you must
check the pins - magnafuxing and microscopically.
Replace with 4140 pins made by someone reputable
like SS or Doug.

Read and install the Logan fix.

Ignore this and I will pray you never have a pin beak.

Getting off the high horse now.  Top Gear in on.

Dave
Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000002)