Re: [Tigers] Fulcrum Pins (Tigers Digest, Vol 3, Issue 49)

To: Tony McNulty <bamcnulty@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fulcrum Pins (Tigers Digest, Vol 3, Issue 49)
From: THEO SMIT <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:31:28 -0700
In "Engineer to Win" Carroll Smith tells about the time that someone decided
to make Can-Am rear halfshafts out of maraging steel. This is a superalloy of
sorts with a very high yield stress and is used in a lot of applications where
light weight and high strength is required. Unfortunately it has very poor
tolerance of repeated stress reversals, and a lot of people broke a lot of
halfshafts until they read the full spec on the material.

I'm not saying that Monel is the wrong material or that the "caterpillar bolt"
material used by Derek White was the wrong material for fulcrum pins, but the
needs of the fulcrum pin application should determine what the right material
is, not the fact that a particular alloy was used on a boat, backhoe, or the
Space Shuttle.

Dale and Doug's pins are not that expensive in the context of a full front
crossmember rebuild, especially if you factor in any required straightening or
reinforcing of the crossmember. Just buy the things from them... you know that
they will be made from a suitable material, they'll be machined properly using
the appropriate tools, and they'll fit.

Cheers,
Theo