[Tigers] Soft Top Recommendations

To: Tiger Talk List Tiger <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Soft Top Recommendations
From: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:52:43 -0700 (PDT)
Tiger List Members,

I've decided to replace our Mark 2 Tiger's convertible top.  Although no one
likes to spend more money than necessary, I'm thinking I should seriously
consider springing for the "best" replacement top I can find.  I've owned the
car since 1978 figure it deserves a nice "hat."

What brand of top is considered "top of the line" for our Tigers?  I have
purchased most of my restoration parts from Sunbeam Specialties in recent
years (always been pleased).  They list tops made by Robbins Top Company in
either a pinpoint or crush grain vinyl for the Mark II.  Which type is closest
to the original top?  I must admit I am not sure what the difference is
between pinpoint and crush grain.

Are there alternative brands of tops available that are "better" (fit and
finish, durability, authenticity, etc) than the Robbins tops?

I've never purchased a soft top before, so input from you guys is
appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI