Re: [Tigers] Penetrants

To: <Carmods@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Penetrants
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 15:11:55 -0400
I recently tried some of the 50-50 ATF and acetone and I have been
pleasantly pleased with the results.

I had never heard of this combination before so I tried it on a frozen brake
drum and after about 15 min. the drum broke loose from the axle.   I was
only Appling some force to the drum and tapping it with a lead hammer.

I next tried it on a stuck bleeder valve; after 5 min the valve would not
turn so I applied some heat with a propane torch for about 5 min and the
valve turned.  A positive note here is that the ATF did not flare up it just
bubbled some as apposed to WD-40 and others that will burn at the touch of a
torch.

My guess here is that the acetone spreads quickly everywhere to evaporate
and it draws the ATF with it which provides some lubrication or at least
breaks the bond that is holding the parts together.

My vote here is that it is worth a try.

Thanks John Logan for that information.

Ron Fraser