Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 12:27:08 -0700
A couple of things and methods of checking:

If you live where there is a hill cut the engine and coast down.  Hopefully
there is not a cop around, - weave side to side.  What you are doing is
where it is coming from.  This can sometimes be helpful in detecting a
bearing gone bad.

The other thing is get the car up to speed where you hear the noise.
Hopefully the exhaust is quiet enough to hear.  At speed gently back on and
off the throttle (say..., 2 second on, 2 seconds off).  If the rear end
noise changes then likely it is the gears rather than the wheel bearing.

While I hope Ron is right (99.9999999999% of the time he is) the shims I
believe SS sells are for the pinion and carrier settings, not for the axle
endplay adjustment.  As I recall the axle shims were not available when I
inquired about 6-8 years ago. The SS site shows #8 as the shims and that is
located not at the end, but the center of the illustration.

 I believe the critical thing is that there is "some" play so the bearings
aren't loaded full time.  I reused my shims and either reused or made my own
gaskets.  In the end I have .004 or so end play.

I won't discourage you with my tails of whoa regarding getting the axles out
and the hubs off other than to say I wish you the best.

Tom